Italy’s military police, the Carabinieri, has ordered 1000 Beretta PMX submachine guns.
It’s a vote of confidence for Beretta, but really it’s an extension of an existing deal. The Carabinieri currently use the Beretta PM12-S/M12S and that is a defunct firearm. It still works, but it’s out of production.
The Beretta PMX is a seductively compact weapon that will serve the armed police well. It’s a closed-bolt, select-fire, blowback operated submachine gun with a 6.9-inch barrel. The folding stock means it can adopt a number of positions, from precision 9mm through to a spray and pray special for close quarters.
It weighs in a 5.3lb empty and you get a 30-round mag. Inevitably it has Picatinny rails on the top, bottom and side of the gun to help tactical forces tailor it for their own needs.
The Beretta PMX made its official US debut at SHOT Show in Las Vegas. See the specs of the gun below.
Want to buy a Beretta PMX? Get a B&T
You can’t order a full-bore PMX, it’s for military and law enforcement only. The Italian firm is on a bit of a roll of late, though, the the Beretta APX handgun has gone down well with the critics. The PX4 Storm is also a palpable hit and Beretta is a contender in pretty much every sector now.
This gun, though, was a collaborative effort with Swiss star B&T. It’s based on the B&T P26, which has been with us for a couple of years now. It’s still a great gun, but it’s interesting that Beretta is working with a Swiss brand we have been banging on about for ages.
So, if you want the civilian version of the Beretta PMX, then you have to go here, to the B&T ACP9. Weird, huh?
The good news is that you can get a 45ACP version of the B&T AP, though So technically, you’ll have more firepower than the Italian military, in a slightly different package.
This contract with the Italian state is worth $1 million to the company, but there’s a sense of pride that goes with supplying the nation’s armed police, too.
The Carabinieri is an Italian institution and has kept its people safe since 1814. It is one of four parts of the Italian armed forces. The others are the Army, Navy and Air Force and between them they have more than 100,000 troops.
Beretta PMX Specs
- Caliber: 9 x 19 mm
- Magazine Capacity: 30 rounds
- Barrel Length: 6.9 in. (175 mm)
- Overall Length: Extended stock – 25.2 in. (640 mm), Folded stock – 16.5 in. (418 mm)
- Overall Height (With Magazine): Without sights – 9.8 in. (250 mm), With folded sights – 10.6 in. (270 mm)
- Overall Width: With extended stock – 2.9 in. (74 mm), With folded stock cocking handle right – 3.4 in. (86 mm), With folded stock cocking handle left – 3.9 in. (100 mm)
- Weight (Unloaded): 5.3 lbs (2.4 kg)
- Locking System: Blowback
- Operating System: Semi-auto and full-auto
- Sights: Rear sight adjusts in windage. Front sight adjusts in elevation. Both are removable.
- Stock: Polymer and light alloy metals
- Special Features: Picatinny rails MIL-STD-1913 positioned top, bottom and on sides of receiver; vertical front hand guards