- Price: $1,288.99
- Barrel Length: 18.5 inch
- Weight: 8lb
- Capacity: 15+1
Just look at it. This is the 15-round bullpup shotgun that swept all before it at this year’s SHOT Show. The IWI Tavor TS-12 has star power and it’s a smash hit.
It looks like it came straight off a sci-fi set and it’s a different solution to the more compact Kel-Tec KSG.
Three tubes carry five shells each, and the capacity drops to 12 if you opt for full Magnum loads.
But there’s another intriguing option. There’s no reason why you can’t use minishells. You can in the Kel-Tec. So if they cycle cleanly, you could have up to 24 shells in one shotgun.
As a home defense gun, that sounds wild.
Tavor TS-12: Key Features
- Bullpup design: The bullpup design means the action is located behind the trigger group. This allows for a shorter overall length without sacrificing barrel length, but the trigger is never the sharpest.
- Triangular barrel: The triangular barrel assembly helps to reduce barrel rise and control recoil.
- Magazine capacity: The TS-12 has a unique 15-round magazine capacity. Shells are stored in three separate tubes that rotate to bring the next round into the chamber.
- Ambidextrous controls: The shotgun has ambidextrous controls, including the safety, magazine release, and bolt release.
- Picatinny rails: The TS-12 has Picatinny rails on the top and slung under the barrel, allowing for the attachment of accessories such as lights, lasers, and optics.
- Adjustable gas system: The shotgun has an adjustable gas system that allows for reliable operation with a variety of loads.
- Easy takedown: The TS-12 can be quickly disassembled for cleaning and maintenance.
Overall, the Tavor TS-12 is a unique and innovative shotgun with a high magazine capacity, ambidextrous controls, and a compact design.
Kel-Tec KSG Is The Current King
The Kel-Tec is our current favorite home defense shotgun for that reason. But there are two issues with it. There are a lot of failure to feed issues reported out there, so you have to get a clean one. You also have to flick a manual switch to flick between the tubes.
In the IWI Tavor TS12, you rotate the tubes and if there’s a shell there then the gun lines it up and chamber the round. So, this is a semi-automatic shotgun.
You might not want this much complication in your home defense shotgun.
But it’s reasonably reliable and an absolute beast. We’ll have no hesitation in making it out shotgun of choice for home defense.
Why are we so concerned with reliability? Well each one of these unique movements and inter-related actions are known as complications in watchmaking circles for a very good reason.
This is advanced stuff and if you’re going to have a home defense shotgun then reliability is pretty much a dealbreaker. So we’ll wait and see the customer reports and reviews before we pass judgement.
The intimidation factor alone is epic. This is a big, scary gun, which you can dress up with full tactical gear. If I was on the wrong end of this, I’d give up whatever I was doing. It’s just a bully of a weapon.
A Heavyweight Gun That Pulls Its Weight
It’s just 28.34 inches long, but it packs in a lot of tech and it weighs in at 8lb without the shells. For up to three times the capacity of the most generous pump action shotgun, that’s a price I’m willing to pay.
Speaking of price, the Tavor TS-12 costs $1399, which is a lot of money for a shotgun. This really is a unique proposition, though, it’s as good as it gets. If the practice matches up to the theory then this is a gamechanger.
You get a full length Picatinny rail on the top, keylock mounts on the side and the traditional Tavor handguard around the trigger. It’s a meaty gun at every step, there isn’t a delicate bone in its body.
We’re excited to see how this gun does in the field, because it looks like it could be the new home defense shotgun champion of the world.
Check out these other mag fed shotguns when you get the chance.
Get yours now!
Save a fortune on 12 Gauge shotgun shells with our partner Lucky Gunner. You can get everything from lightweight buckshot for duck hunting through to specialized hollow point slugs for home defense and urban warfare.
Shotgun cartridges are expensive and they can get ridiculously pricey, topping $3 a round. But at Lucky Gunner, you can stock up on basic 12 Gauge shotgun shells in bulk for as little as 23c a round. So take a look and see how much you can save.